笑傲江湖 (削凹浆糊?) 2006

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Course on "How to bring to the best out of students"

Spent the last 2 days on course in Hwa Chong Institute. This was fhe 1st time I ever step into the old HCJC since 1981...(the year I completed my A level). I was in the new wings where the LTs and Lab are located...almost got lost if not for some old memories of local knowledge.

Got an early bird voucher of $50 and decided to exchange it for 2 books, one is "Laughing classroom" and the other titled "life's Greatest lessons". Quickly unrapped the cover and browsed through the 1st book and found 1 brain game I can play in the classroom next semesters onwards. Problem is ...where do I keep my previous records...gone through my home drawer and could not find the piece of paper...maybe have to go through my office drawer again...i swear I just saw that piece of work done previously about a month ago!!

(I think the rest of the games are more meant for primary school children so actually the book is more useful to cowgal than me).

The 2 day course is about dealing with students...particularly with teenage students. The class spend a great deal of time understanding the developmental needs of teenagers, as they are still trying to discover who they actually are...so many of them are still in the moulding / developing stage...some are lost.... I was told that most of the ever changing and developing brain will finally settled and become matured by the age of 20.

In a way that is very true. Many of the students are still somewhat playful in year 1 at CPT. by year 2 some have settled and year 3 many display maturity that was very satisfying to see as a teacher.

I guess in a way...we are lucky to teach students that are close to maturity. There seems to be "progress" along the way in the couse of study...we might think we actually did something good to them...but actually that may be just part of their growing up process.

Some of the good points that I read through and highlighted in the notes are :

- ACCEPT the students. You may not always acceot the students' beheaviour, but you accept the student.

Sincereity - teenagers can see through "phonies", they know when you care about what is going on and when you simply do not. They are exquisitely sentitive to the hype and can see what's fake right away.

They react well to your interests. They will appreciate your efforts and hard work.

Teeanagers actually realtes to silliness, humour and irreverence more easily...they are trapped in school all day dealing with serious stuff ...they don't get as many laughs as grown-ups.


Be honest, be consistant. If you permit, then you give them permission. (That's why I always pick on those who talk and disrupt the class...I simply cannot permit.)

Being interested, connected, measured (not emotionally attached) and plan-full is the key.

People feed off energy. If you are upbeat, they will respond to you. You will find you feed on their energy as well.

Many students have no role models. You may be fullfilling an important role and not even aware of it.

Be kind. Be kind. Be kind. Then they will trust us, then they will learn.

Take good care of your own self, if you are giving more energy more than the students, you will suffer from burnout....and anger...and resentment...and you will be no use to anyone.

Actions that I will do after this course :

1. start to introduced the "Brain bender game" in class starting nest semester...I will go hunt down that piece of paper for sure!!

2. Introduce the concept of letting students hearing from peers...and combined with praise from peers as well...that will also allow me to know some of the students better.

Will be going for another 5 courses in the next 2-3 months...shall summarise what I learn in each of them, to share also to reinforce / recap what's happening before I forget about them.

4 Comments:

  • SIr lend me that book...i seriously have nth in mind to do with my students during assembly!!!!And i haven prepared for tmr assembly.. T_T

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, June 05, 2007 10:11:00 PM  

  • wah.. no need to do the course le lah waste time. From what i see, u are already doing it. Stopping praising urself anymore ;p

    U already are some role model already! :)

    LT please be more creative hor. hahahahah

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, June 06, 2007 8:53:00 PM  

  • Actually there are quite alot more to the course la...praise vs encouragement / 4 types of misbehave students / 4 types of teachers etc tec...just cannot type the whole course in la...

    But guess what..I have already started the Mind benders with the 2nd yr RS class. That's at least 1 positive action taken after attending this course.

    By Blogger 鸿图, at Thursday, June 07, 2007 4:51:00 PM  

  • stupid james eh..

    I always very creative one hor...i ask them to act 'big head' they love it so much..so fun

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, June 07, 2007 9:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home