笑傲江湖 (削凹浆糊?) 2006

Saturday, October 14, 2006

The way I treat my tools

Still remember my A level Physics textbook - almost as thick as seven inches, close to a thousand pages. I almost freak out when I saw it, and think -OMG am I going to digest this book for the next 2 years??

Carrying it to school is so cumbersome. But going without it is not much useful as we need to do tutorials from the books. In the end i made up my mind and do the right thing - I disected the book into 12 small sections. Each time I carry only 1 thin slice chapter to school at a time.

And if u look more closely, u can find highlightings / undelines / scribblings / notes etc in the book. So much so it really looked like salted vegetable.

I also carry it on my way to give tuition. My student, SJ, will give me the dirty look and say EEEEE...why you ill treat your book until like that.....??!!! I then took a look and think for a while...and replied : " I think it has served the function it suppose to serve." 我想 - 我对得起这本书

What's the point of having it sitting nicely on my shelve and I preserved it like brend new if in the end I didn't manage to gain knowledge from it?

That day also another similar case happened. BB walk into my room and saw my camera, newly bought - just 4 months old, and commented - Woa Lao...so many scratches on the camera already, you never take care of the camera properly!!!

Yes I do - I pasted a protective film to protect the big screen. The rest...I guess no need to as they dun actually interfere with the functions.

And I carry the camera with me almost everywhere. When needed, I will have this useful tool to take down memorable moments of my life. If not for it, I would have difficulties remembering these following moments -















Settlers sesion at West Coast McCafe with the NUS students...fighting to build longest road happens here always with CY around.















Ever see ShuMei smile so happily b4?
She gets 5 sheeps every time 6 is rolled, and has a sheep port.

And 6 was rolled afew times in a row. so she was really really happy.















Outing with my PEM 0501 at Grassroot clus to taste fondue and bowl for 2 games. Have to do 10 push ups after loosing that 2nd group game. Damn!!















Chin Li and Siok Hui was soooo shag and exhuasted after paintball3...can't even focus their eyes.That promt me to take this picture.

Oh by the way, one of the smashed the birthday cake. Guess who?

So yes again, it has served its intended function. Anyway in 2-3 years time, even it is brend new, no one would want it as the technology will progress foreward so much already. Any one need a nice looking but obsolete item??

My car is another example. I am its master. To me I have decided that I tresure time more than money (Stage 2!!). So I use it as much as possible to transport me from point A to B to C etc. With children around it is extremely convenient.

Last example I shall quote is my settlers set. It looked like it has survived WWII. Of course I can keep it at home and treat it like my treasure. But I dun think that was the intended purpose anyway. So far I have play more than 15 rounds with various group of students...and trained 20 students along the way...and they all enjoyed the game and we really have some super fun time together.

Sure, the set looked bad now...but really, what the heck...it has served its functions isn't it??

That's the way I treat my tools.

3 Comments:

  • wa..
    then i will NEVER NEVER NEVER lend u any of my things.. my heart will **piang piang piang** into a million pieces wheni get it back..
    haha

    Try protecting them ba.. I believe this way will make them able serve their function longer. =)

    anniE

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, October 15, 2006 12:28:00 PM  

  • haha 2 points to add from me :

    1. when i borrow things from others, i of course will trest with upmost respect lah. I am messy yes but believestill have a bit of such basic courtesy.

    2. There are things I buy to preserve too!! Like my JingYong novels and many others chinese books. They sit nicely in my book shelf. Again...they serve a different purpose then textbooks to me.

    yaya...i try not to borrow thing from u la...if not u really got heart attack.

    By Blogger 鸿图, at Sunday, October 15, 2006 3:45:00 PM  

  • When I first bought my handphone, I immediately went to buy a cover. Christof saw it and asked me why I did it. He said that now it is new and nice but I don't want to see it (by covering it up). After two years I will want to get rid of it and it is still in a very new condition. What for? I think he is right.

    By Blogger Chin-Joo Quek, at Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home