笑傲江湖 (削凹浆糊?) 2006

Sunday, October 01, 2006

My Biggest nightmare in NUS days

Visited NUS / NTU in last week and also this week and catch up with quite afew students in both campus. Had tea / lunch with them, and some who are free even played settlers with me to enjoy fun fill and lazy afternoons.

Heard them complaining about life in new campus. Lecturers are foreign and their slang cannot understand, tutorial tutors never explain and dismiss class, LT got not enough seats so last 12 must sit on floor, Lab assistant scold people freely and loudly, leacturers not time to see students, canteen very very crowded, lab no need safety / env measures....etc etc

Here are my replies to them :

Maybe I should write a letter to thank the Dean...my graduates students suddenly realised we are so nice to them actually as soon as they enter uni.

Life is fair...last time you bully me...now people bully you lor.

Last time you are big fish in a small pond...now you are small fish in a big pond!!!

Go get close to your senior ba, they can be of great help instead of the lecturer...who knows...he may be your future spouse!!!

Don't ask me anything about sociology...I got a C for this subject...and untill now I also dunno how and why I get my C...Idun even know what I have learnt!!!

I had left uni almost 19 years already...would have thought uni life and style of delivery would have improved tremendously through these years...but I guess history just repaets itself every year. We used to tell a joke : Your professor actually didn't teach for 15 years..he teach for 1 year, but repeat it 15 times.

NUS / NTU ranked high up in the world ranking because of the reseach works done...not % of students understand the lecturer. So guys and gals, you really have to dig in deep in your brain reserves and do your own reading / understanding / summary / revising.

Maybe...that's the right way of training uni grads...no holding hands, no sweets, make sure they are independent and use own resource to solve porblems and exercise the brain more , and learn to work under stress etc etc...so that they will be ready for the real world!!!

maybe in a way, I/we have failed to prepare our students for the real industry and real uni life...
Last but not least, just would like to share with you my experience in uni...yes life can be very stressful at times...I have a recurring nightmares about the same storyline...that is tomorrow is the final exam...and I suddenly realised the I have never touch the textbooks / notes at all the night before!!! And it woill be my most dreaded suject like maths or sociology. :(

That thought alone will weak me up in the middle of the night have cold sweat all over my body.

Even when I started working in Exxon, within the 1st 5 years...I still have the same nightmare once evrey 2-3 months!!! Only after 5-6 years...this nightmare slowly depart me and never come back and haunt me...

So dun say I never warn you ah...uni is not exactly plain sailing after all...do work hard and smart. good luck !!

6 Comments:

  • HEY! thanks for ur dearie advise.. =) i know it won't be plain sailing but i hope it would still be quite a smooth journey for me thru out the 3 yrs... when i get stressed up i will go n haunt u! haha... soon ur nightmare will re-occur mann... take care ah! gtg... outting my head back to taylor's face.. yucks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, October 02, 2006 4:21:00 PM  

  • Yo! Honestly we expected it to be different but we were not prepared for something to be THIS different. And alot of the situations you mentioned seem to belong to my side. We are half dying inside there actually, thus our half dead looks the other day.

    I can only say that we never bully you nor have taken you for granted because we have our fair share of not-so-good lecturers. =p

    "Go get close to your senior ba, they can be of great help instead of the lecturer...who knows...he may be your future spouse!!!" -> Were you refering to a particular someone or the rest of us? lol.

    It's relieving to know that your lecturer comes and visit you so that you can pour in your troubles to them even though we have already graduated. Can't be thankful enough.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, October 02, 2006 11:19:00 PM  

  • Too long to post, read my comments here.
    http://idunnowatnametouse.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Chin-Joo Quek, at Wednesday, October 04, 2006 1:34:00 AM  

  • Wah sure it is a long long post. Well i am an optimistic person...I believe they can do it...just take abit of time to adjust to. And they are students who are eager to learn...that alone can pull them through...not to get honours but to get a degree I dun think it is going to a problem.

    But they they dun put in the effort to adjust or they gave up..then of course just like any others...almost destine to fail.

    So take heart...i nv see one try hard and yet fail badly...i 've seen plenty nv work hard and cannot make it. It took me till 25 yrs old to understand what "go back to 1st principle" means...you are getting there soon too.

    By Blogger 鸿图, at Wednesday, October 04, 2006 11:47:00 AM  

  • army teach u a different sets of life skills lah...u will see all kinds of ppl in the army, and hopefully will learn how to live with them too.

    Friends made in the army will last long, as it was build on hardship and under duress. U see a person's true character in hard times not in good times.

    By Blogger 鸿图, at Friday, October 06, 2006 11:16:00 PM  

  • The grass always seem greener on the other side. =)

    And army is something that everyone has to go through.. So just bear with the 2 years and you will come out as a better person.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, October 07, 2006 11:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home