笑傲江湖 (削凹浆糊?) 2006

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Students in tears

Through my years in school, there are quite afew incidents that I came across where students are in tears...in various situations. Tears of fear, tears of joy, tears of frustration etc etc.



Here are the list as much as my brain can recall straight away:



1. There was a case where tears were dropped when I told the student to take more drastic action against the parent to change for the good.



2. Then there was this case where I told the student straight in the face that the working attitude is just not good enough and faced the sack.



3. There was this case I placed my handphone recorder on the table and start to read the rights to the student : " you have the rights to remain silent, but if you choose not to do so, everything you say will be recorded and may be used against you in the court of law."



4. The was this case the students are on the very very verge of crying...cos they believed that the fire cracker I threw into thier bed was a lighted one.



5. There was afew students also freak out when they head me saying "How come your test results so like that?"



6. Then there was this case where one roll onto the floor when just because she heard me say "Hoo Hoo Hoo" (okok i admit timing is abit wrong...at 12 midnight).



7. Afew actually told me that they cried when they watched my graduation CD.



8. Another case...I told the student : " How do you expect me as a marker of the script to award you marks with absolutely no wroking and results exactly the same correct to 3 decimal point with the person sitting next to you?"



9. Then a recent case that happened..I told the student NOT to take drastic actions against the parent.



10. Recently I also told the student to spare a thought for the poor parent who work ward back home to earn money to study comfortable in S'pore.



11. Then there is this case of I told the student to improve her appointment and scheduling abilities.



12. Then there was this case i had to correct this student to stop coming late for full time semester project and start to care of own.



13. then there was this case I spent 2 hours on the phone to illustarte the case where how company view one who fail to greet colleague and constant clock watch/going to toilet.



14. then there was this case where borrow notes from senior also went wrong in NTU...



15. Then there was a case i spent 30 mins to convinced one to drop the harsh words against c0mpany in PBP presentation slides



16. Then there was this case I mention some unwelcome name who will be joining the student in uni course...



17. Last but not least...there were 2 who never cry...but too shock for lunching. One even decided to look for a new job!!! hahahahahahah



古龙写过: "一个人,只要还会流泪,他就还有希望。"



Dedicated to all my students who still have hopes. Feel free to let me know if I have missed your case...

15 Comments:

  • ya ya, Mr Goh, u missed XPY out.... she said she is not hopeless so she fell in the "一个人,只要还会流泪,他就还有希望。" category, LOLx..........

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:25:00 AM  

  • I'm victims of 2 cases.

    Hahaha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:40:00 AM  

  • Actually sometimes crying happen when we are unable to accept certain realities about not being good enough, or we face negativities in life.

    I'm learning to be shocked rather than tearing. After the shock, accept the reality and move on.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:07:00 PM  

  • Too bad, I will only close my eyes when I am scared.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, October 17, 2008 11:47:00 AM  

  • Actually there are still more cases where I saw students crying...quarrel with bf/gf/classmates + after hearing comments from the pbp assessors etc etc...but i am not responsible so I nv include them. hahahahaha

    By Blogger 鸿图, at Friday, October 17, 2008 10:49:00 PM  

  • LOL!! i had a belly-laughter!
    can be considered quite "evil" laughing at ppl's "crying" moment!
    but it was so entertaining to read! - Angel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, October 18, 2008 11:48:00 AM  

  • Mr Goh,

    I'm really sorry for thatday....Sorry for late apologise... I shouldn't did that to you...



    Thanks for the advice I will try my best to improve myself in the future... You know when was reading the phrase"古龙写过: "一个人,只要还会流泪,他就还有希望。" " my tear dropped like thatday and I felt guilty for that .... I 'm sorry.

    By the way I will be joinning u all on 2nd of december.


    Student of case 11

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, October 18, 2008 3:09:00 PM  

  • I am the busy body type and straight foreward too, so i may appear to others that I am bullying you with loud voice but I hope u know I simply think you can be better and I care to tell you.

    There are many...I dun even bother to waste my energy to tell...we are not that close to tell them such things.

    By Blogger 鸿图, at Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:52:00 PM  

  • I know that... that why i apologise to you over here. Hope that "你大人有大量".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, October 20, 2008 2:54:00 PM  

  • they already kicked mine...dun u know??

    By Blogger 鸿图, at Tuesday, October 21, 2008 12:17:00 AM  

  • At least he kept the names of the students who were involved.

    It could get worse when he starts displaying the names of all the students involved.

    He's a lecturer, not a teacher. And in a Polytechnic, you learn to take all these comments and criticisms in your stride. In Secondary School or JC, your teachers may still protect you and not mentioning anything because they still consider you as a child. In a Polytechnic, we are considered to be young adults who are responsible for our actions.

    I've been mentioned by him before and I don't feel there's anything wrong with it.

    Learning from the mistakes of others is better than commiting yourself. Don't you think so?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:28:00 AM  

  • I wonder what defines hopeless cases.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:17:00 AM  

  • If u ask me....just look at Ah Bian now...he is really hopeless cos he is shameless. 知耻近乎勇。To be ashame is actually brave....less n less ppl know that ...

    By Blogger 鸿图, at Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:13:00 PM  

  • lecturer, teacher it's the same la! and there is a difference between protecting student as children and degrade student !!

    a teacher (or lecturer if you want) shouldn't protect student i agree with you but a teacher should show the path and push his students and assist them when they have difficulties !

    "
    Learning from the mistakes of others is better than commiting yourself. Don't you think so?"


    yes it's true you learn when other or you make mistakes but you'll learn much more if you are able to analyzes these mistakes; that is also the role of a good lecturer. but pushing student to feel guilty is not a solution!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, November 03, 2008 6:41:00 PM  

  • This ... will be the last post allow w/o name...too many of such new comers in my blog likes to do that...so far for the past 3years all seniors are automatic enough to express their views and open enough to leave their names to stand by their views.

    I am open minded.. and many of my students ahve the same frequency. Buzan say dun be afraid to make mistakes...as u will learn from your own mistakes...best is to learn from others mistakes.

    All mistakes are discussed in lessons...no name mentioned, but to allow the students to learn. By this age I would expects students to be able to mature enough to acknowledge the silliness of some answers and laugh it off.

    Some, unfortunate;y are more sensitive and take it by heart...I can't change them, and I also don't think I would like to change because of afew negative minorities. We just have diifferent views in life.

    Just move on if you dun like what u see, If you want to express badly...hold your head high and tell others why in pride.

    By Blogger 鸿图, at Wednesday, November 05, 2008 12:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home