笑傲江湖 (削凹浆糊?) 2006

Monday, August 11, 2008

Spirit of competition

Those of you who play badminton with me b4 will probably notice I am very vocal during the game. I talk alot to my partners. Pointing out the weakness, discussing the strategies, gave words of encouragement, but I dun point fingers for blame.

Volleyball is a team game and the team is only as strong as your weakest member of 6!! If we dunt cover for each other and encourage each other, it's quite impossible to gel the 6 together in a match. And at times luck and form can really swing...and if you dun stand up to be counted and hold the helm in tough situations (when you are really trailing ) , you might as well kiss goodbye to any chance of winning.

Playing badminton, it's the same...there is only 1 person to communicate: YOUR PARTNER!!

Rule #1 : to be FEARLESS. if you are afraid of being hit by the ball...then don't play ball!!

Rule #2 : ALWAYS GIVES YOUR BEST. One enters the court to give your best...no matter how strong the opponent and even you have 0.000001% only of winning chance...you face it and give it your best shot. I would rather lose and earn the opponent respect for putting a damn good fight rather than concede from the begining without putting on any resistance.


Rule # 3- we play to win, and to win fair and square. I would rather lose than win a game via cheating. This is already against the spirit of competition. The beauty of playing sports is to allow you to taste defeats ...and you improve and grow from there. harmlessly with so little risk in stake!!


Rule *4 - winning or loosing is 50% determination 50% skill. NEVER GAVE UP!! FIGHT!! no matter what is the score...you fight for every point!! Till the game is finally over.
(pls also see what happen to manU vs Bayern Munich 1999 champions league final).


Rule # 5- u win as a team...lose as a team. So take care of your team members and team spirits...pat on the back, high 5s, a concern glance, a word of encouragement, a winkle of the eye, a joke, all these ...i believe...do wonders in the field/court to sustain the magic of a team. And if you perform as a team, u can beat the other side of separate individuals.


These pricipals has been instilled into me and followed me for years...even into my army days. I still can vividly remember the days of training together, eat together, play together...as a team...preparing for competition. And with my platoon soldier too...we even sleep together.


I hope these values I pick up along playing the sports can be of use to you in life too.

May the spirit of competition be with you.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home