笑傲江湖 (削凹浆糊?) 2006

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Trading Cards

I was once engaged in the collection of trading cards about 12 years ago, while I was still working in OUB centre. At that time the only type of football cards available in the market was Man United own trading cards. That was the era of Cantona / Schimichael / Beckham / Giggs / Keane.

The whole series not only consist of the current squad, but also the reserves/promising youth players. Inaddition, there was awhole section of United Legend like Best, Law and Charlton and many more. I followed for 2 seasons and then stopped when I was posted to China.

Back then there is no such thing as the internet and the card collecting / trading community in S'pore was not well published and communicated.

12 yrs later...and my son is towards 12...he ticked me off about the new trading cards available on the EPL. It was called match Attax and it features all 18 teams from the EPL. It started last year and grow stronger this season. So i spend a initial lump sum to purchase the cards from 7-11, then stared to look in the web for sites / people who do trading / selling of individual cards that I miss.

After 2 months, I think I now finally have a collection of 98% of the cards published. I still do not have the primiership trophy card / Sign Fabregas signed card / and afew special edition cards which features not so famous / skilled players yet command a high price.

I also bought the last season Man Utd full set of cards for collection sake.

Also created in the gift folder on BEST Premiership selection this season.


Think my son also enjoy seeing the selection grow thicker week by week and arrival of some of the rare cards in the mailbox. (Of course he has no idea the $$ I fork out to secure the cards).


Soon will be the release of the EXTRAS - cos in Jan players swtich club and there will be updates and new printed cards. Smart way to get more $$ from the collectors. There are collectors who spend thousands on the cards and arrange and resell he individual cards to many other samller time collector like students to earn a decent profit out of it. If I am retrenched I may consider doing that too....hahahahahah.

2 Comments:

  • hmmm..sounds familiar..like when I was in primary collecting sailor moon cards..HAHAHAHAHAHA :x 原来老师也是这么顽童啊!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:11:00 PM  

  • It's actually a bonding tool w my son too..so that we can talk something interesting else in common beside just maths n science.....music i am a no hoper. hehehe

    By Blogger 鸿图, at Friday, March 06, 2009 8:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home